Thursday, June 14, 2012

Labor and Delivery With Baby Harper

On Tuesday May 29, 2012, we planned on inducing. Just two days before my due date with still not much discomfort from pregnancy at that point just swelling hands and feet. Up to this point I had still been sleeping pretty good but I knew I was anxious about the delivery and excited so I went ahead and took one Tylenol PM to make sure I got a few hours of sleep the night before. I made Trevor take some too so he would get some rest as well. We only took half a dose because I was scared that knowing our luck after we both took something to sleep that my water would break or something. All I could think of was Father of The Bride II, if anyone has seen that! We went to bed around 9 or 9:30 Memorial Day night. Trevor slept until the alarm went off at 4:30 but I of woke up at 2AM ready to go. I knew it was probably going to be a long day ahead but I was wide awake. After Trevor woke up we got ready to go to the hospital.

flowers 734  flowers 735

I was told to be there between 5 and 6AM. We got there around 5:15. As soon as we got there we were taken to our room L&D #7. They basically walked us to our room did some paperwork while I was changing and my IV with Pit was started by 6AM. Everything started so fast. I was one of 4 inductions that day. I was the first one there besides a scheduled c-section that they had already started on, so they were trying to get everything with me started before the other ones came in.

flowers 685

We got settled in the room and my parents got there around 7. Trevor’s parents went in to work to get everything opened and started up and they came to the hospital around 10 with his brother, Justin.

flowers 692 flowers 696

The week before at my appointment I was 3 cm dilated so I was thinking that everything would progress faster due to that but I was wrong! The doctor came in between 7:30 and 8 to break my water. Even after that I still was in no real pain. Dr Simmons came back in around 10 and there was no change. He came in again around 12 and I had only dilated 1 more cm. Part of the reason it was taking so long was every time they would increase my pit drip the way it was supposed to be (which is doubling it every time they increase it) my body didn’t like it that much. My nurse came in after she got it to 8 and had to bump it back down. Instead of it making my contractions stronger it was just making them closer together. It was almost like I was continuously contracting, which is not good. So every time she would turn it up a little later she would come back in and cut it back down. I went ahead and got my epidural around 11:30 not because there was a lot of pain just some pressure that was annoying. I knew that if it was going to take a while then I wanted to be somewhat comfortable. After my epidural the only complaint I had was I was starving. I only ate two pieces of toast that morning and they wore off long  ago. Finally around 1 that afternoon I started progressing about a cm an hour and the pitocin quit making my contractions crazy and they called me in active labor at this point. The doctor came and checked me about every two hours. Dr. Simmons got finished seeing patients at 5 that afternoon so Trevor and I were already preparing ourselves for him not being there when the baby was born. He came in around 5:15 and I was 8 cm by then.   He said he would be back to check me right after 6 then hopefully we could get this show on the road. It meant so much to us that he was sticking around to deliver baby Harper. At 6 he came back in and I was 10cm. He left out of the room and the nurse came in to set everything up. I started pushing around 6:30 and at 7:13 Harper Benjamin Lobdell made his appearance.

flowers 767

He weighed 7lbs 4oz and 20 inches long.

flowers 787

flowers 722

flowers 724

Trevor did so good. He really impressed me. So many of his friends were making bets that he would pass out because he is not good with blood at all. He stood beside me the whole time and held my hand. He even watched a little. As soon as the doctor said here he comes, Trevor  will tell you he might have gone a little overboard with all the pictures that he took. But I would never say that about pictures. There are so many more pictures from the day but I will just put them on facebook. 

The day after Harper was born my preacher Brother Mike came and prayed with us. Trevor hated he missed him but he had just ran home to shower and let the dog out….

flowers 888 flowers 886

On my due date May 31st we got discharged around 11AM. It was a little scary leaving the hospital with him but we managed. His outfit swallowed him but we still put it on him. We had to loose the hat though because it was ridiculously big.

flowers 954 flowers 981

flowers 895 flowers 905

flowers 909 flowers 913

                            First car ride. He did good!                              First of many diaper change at home!

flowers 920

The cake my parents had waiting on us at home

We are so overwhelmed with joy having him home with us. Thank you to all the visitors and sweet meals we have received since being home. Pretty sure we have only cooked one time in the last two weeks, which is amazing. We are so in love with our new addition.

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to look at the pictures you had on your camera when I came to the hospital and when I came over both times and managed to forget all three times. I'm ready to see more pictures!!!